CLUB TENNIS TARRAGONA eCommerce Tarragona Tarragona
CLUB TENNIS TARRAGONA eCommerce Tarragona Tarragona
CLUB TENNIS TARRAGONA eCommerce Tarragona Tarragona
CLUB TENNIS TARRAGONA eCommerce Tarragona Tarragona
CLUB TENNIS TARRAGONA eCommerce Tarragona Tarragona
Tennis is, undoubtedly, the sport that has had a more spectacular development.

In Tarragona, he arrived through Barcelona in 1908 on the farm of Josep Maria Iglesias near the mountain of L'Oliva. They played competitions with a very select audience that could only be accessed by rigorous invitation. In 1913, the first tennis ground was already on the way to L'Arrabassada, in front of the Jans Cemetery.

The thousand and one attempts carried out so that this aristocratic sport acquired a letter of naturalness in our city, they had become a failure until around 1915, when a small group of women often met to play to tennis

This sport has evolved a lot since it was founded in 1915, by Tarragona D. Lluis Bonet i Amigó, with the name of "Law Tenis Club Tarragona", which was the main organizer and soul of the section. He had a great liking for sports. He sacrificed himself morally and materially and with his activity and delivery he achieved the implementation of this sport in our city, and he achieved that on May 2, 1915, the opening of the two tracks built on the street Estanislau Figueres of this city.

This "section" was part of the Gymnastic Club. It was made up of 40 members, fans. They all came from well-off families.

The meeting of this section was held and registrations were closed to become partners. Those who from now on want to become members should meet double entry fee.

In this first stage the LLuís Bonet Trophy (1918-1929) was disputed.

Joan Gualberto Nogués i Virgili was one of the first tennis players in Tarragona and presided over the Entity in 1923.

Later, the facilities were moved from Estanislau Figueres to the new lands of the Camí de l'Àngel (Avinguda de Catalunya). The works to condition the tennis courts in the new terraces went at a good pace and when arriving in March of 1924 they already began to make joy within the general facilities of the Gimnàstic Club where they were integrated like Sport Section del that formed part for more than forty years.

On April 1, 1924, he became a member of Leandre Campadabal, one of the players of tennis in Tarragona and a patriarch of a good line of tennis players.

In the same month of April 1924 the first social championship was organized in order to establish a "ranking" within the club and thus be able to call the players that would represent the club in official competitions.

On July 12, 1925, the new constant facilities were built: 3 slopes, social chalet and small garden.

In September of 1939 the assembly of partners, that had about 50, decided to change the name and to be called Section of Tennis Club Gimnástico.

From 1947 until 1955 and there was a fluorescent stage at the Club. But as of this last year, a crisis began in the football section of Club Gimnàstic (base of the club) and as a result it dragged to all other sections.

For all that exposed and not to lose the work for so many years, the members of the Tennis Club of the Gimnàstic Club agreed to become an independent company doing a great deal of effort. A villa, lands, courts and facilities were acquired in property. Then it was called Tarragona Tennis Club.

Independent and owner of our Tarragona Tennis Club of the property, land and facilities, where they developed their sports activities. These were gradually increasing as the number of partners progressively increased, which went from a hundred to a total of two hundred by the end of 1955.
In order to regulate the operation of the club as an independent entity, the board submitted to the Royal Spanish Tennis Federation a draft social status, which was approved on April 30, 1960.

The statute established the categories of youth and children's members with reduced monthly fees and exception to the entrance fee for the latter, in order to encourage and stimulate the practice of tennis sports among young people.

These measures gave an excellent result, because many members were registered there. This fact led to an increase in sporting activities.

Due to the progressive increase of the partners, the facilities became insufficient to attend to the constant needs and before the impossibility of extending them in the same location, in 1961 began to talk about the possible transfer of the Club to the Cala Romana urbanization.

On April 26, 1961 the Board of Directors of the Club wrote a letter to all the members explaining and justifying their position towards the possible transfer of the Club to the urbanization Cala Romana.

On May 20, 1962 an Extraordinary General Meeting took place - referendum where the social mass was chosen mainly for the transfer of the Club to Cala Romana.

In the 1960s, the number of partners experienced a strong rise. Tennis was already a popular sport and Tarragona grew at an accelerated pace. A majority group that initially played at 7 in the morning, before going to work, created the Seven O'Clock rock. It organized championships for beginners, by categories of all kinds, both in winter and summer, and they always finished with a dinner, dance and freely of prizes. By that time the club organized the official social championships and the competitions interclubs.

Due to the constant increase in the number of partners and sports activities, the facilities were made insufficient to meet the constant needs. Faced with the impossibility of extending them to the same location, the Extraordinary General Meeting of the club gathered for the election of the new location.

On May 20, 1962, the lands of Cala Romana were acquired, some land with an area of more than 10,000 m2 where the purpose was to build the various facilities and buildings suitable for the sports activities of a club of tennis The construction of six tennis courts (one of them with canopy) was planned, a 12 x 25 meter pool, a small pediment and a social place equipped with locker rooms for both men and women.

With the efforts of club members and an aid granted by the National Delegation, these facilities could be carried out. For the social area, a two-story building was projected, and the construction of a house isolated by the concierge was wanted.

The main building had a southeast orientation. It was considered the most appropriate because at the rush hour when you play you see the face sun. The new facilities were opened on May 24, 1964.

The social building consisted of the following dependencies: On the ground floor: porches, stairs, dressing rooms and sanitary ladies, clothes and sanitary men and children's wardrobe locks. On the first floor: lobby, concierge, games room, social room, bar, toilets, secretary.

After the various promotional campaigns carried out by the Boards of Directors to promote the practice of sport among the largest number of people, of 300 members who were registered when they made the transfer, became about 2000 associates.

This spectacular increase in the number of members has been mainly due to the policy followed by the Board of Directors by establishing reduced monthly installments and minimum entry fees, including granting total exceptions for young people, in order to avoid losing any player or promise for lack of means in our province.

In 1966 a tennis school was created to encourage and stimulate this sport among the younger people by teaching the basics of the technique.

In 1969 in this dramatic increase of partners and the creation of the tennis school, the club's facilities remained spectacularly congested. Therefore, the problem of extension of the facilities was considered. The project consisted of the construction of four clay courts, of which two of them would be focused on the school, which would provide a total of ten tracks, a number provided to club members.

It was also intended to build a new fronton placed above the current with an increase in its length in order to be used by the school. In this way the maximum use of the clues would be achieved. Finally, it was planned to build a pavilion intended for tennis school, consisting of a wardrobe and a gym.

In 1970, with the help of the National Delegation and the economic effort of the Club, the 4 clay courts were built, a pavilion for the tennis school, a pediment, lighting a track and closing of the lot. These works were officially inaugurated in July 1970.

Again, there was a need for another extension of the facilities due to an increase in the number of practitioners. To this end, the General Assembly, and always subject to possible assistance from the National Delegation, authorized the Board of Directors to initiate in 1972 the construction of a "tennis court", expand the pediment and pave it , build leafs on track 4, illuminate track 3, expand the changing rooms with new showers and improve the installation of water to irrigate the slopes, with a sufficient pressure pump.

In 1974 the Board of Directors presented an ambitious project of extensions of the club facilities. On the one hand, it was wanted to buy the land of a mountain and next to the tennis court. On the other hand also proposed the construction of a central track, the construction of a pergola, expand the changing rooms of men, build a cafe with a games room. The creation of a playground was also proposed, the closing of track 7 on a sports court and finally the closing of the social venue. Of all the aforementioned, only the expansion of men's changing rooms and the construction of a cafeteria were carried out.

During these years the number of partners and practitioners increased at all hours of the day, quite the opposite of the first years in which only the rush hours were played. From the 60s and 70s almost all the tracks were busy while the club was open.

On July 13, 1985, the first Day of the Club was celebrated to commemorate the 70 years of the foundation (Lawn Tennis Club 1915). Of the organized acts it emphasizes the inauguration of a commemorative monitor. It should be noted that Mr. Joan Vallvé fought to get a Tarragona stone, worthy of setting the monolith. It was not easy at all. The stone was found at the bottom of the old quarry, behind the train station on land of the port's construction board, which they yielded to give it mainly thanks to the management of the company Mr. Ramon Juanola.

In 1985 we also have to point out that the member and former president of the entity for 8 years Mr. Agustí Pujol i Niubó was elected President of the Royal Spanish Tennis Federation at the age of 36 on 9 November. He was President for 5 candidatures.

The Tarragona Tennis asked for the organization of the championship of female absolute Spain in 1991. The Royal Spanish Tennis Federation granted the organization after producing some favorable reports of the facilities of the club and also goes away Keep in mind that the club had previously organized such important championships.

In 1996, the Davis Cup was held that faced Spain and Denmark to try to return to the world group. It became the most important international event in the whole history of the Tarragona Tennis Club. It was very important for the club but also for the city as it would be known worldwide.

In February of 1999, the club facilities wanted to be expanded and modified in order to modernize it and compare it with the big clubs in Barcelona. They proposed the construction of new offices, a new reception occupying part of the current porch, the construction of two paddle tracks on the tennis court and the conditioning of the pediment with a sports court. In the end, the first two paddle courts were built in June 2000 and an ambitious definitive remodeling project of a 21st century club began to work.

In 2003 finally the Board of Directors ruled by the President of Club Mr. Antonio Jordà de Quay would present to the members and the new remodeling of change and improvement of the facilities would be approved by majority. One track would be more than tennis (total 11), two more of paddle (total 4), a new less deep pool and one for children, the total restoration of the social building where dressing rooms with saunas and Turkish baths would be extended, a large gymnasium, cabins for aesthetic treatments, physiotherapy and others, new offices for administration and reception and a new bar, restaurant and kitchen.

Also during this stage at the sport level there would be a change of 180 degrees. The club's first absolute male team would rise to the 1st national category for the first time in its history. The tennis school (with an average of three hundred students), in team competitions would be among the best in Catalonia in many categories, a wide range of international and national competitions would be organized as it is now: an eliminatory of the Federation Cup, the European Men's European Championship for teams "Cup of the Sun", the championship of the world of veterans +60 per team, the championship of Spain Absolute women, the Championship of Spain veterans +35 and +40, between many others.

Also, the Club will organize the Spanish Championship several times for first-class Absolute male teams and in 2006, the Open Challenger ATP International "Costa Daurada" with a $ 50,000 grant will be regained.

The tournament will take place during five editions and motivated by the economic crisis that the country suffers will stop organizing in 2011.

In the next stage of the Board of Directors ruled by the President of Club Mr. Antonio Sanchez Recasens (2006-2010) carried out mainly the construction of the fifth paddle track located on the old front of the club and also the remodeling-construction of the square and extension of the gym to the first floor.

Now a few years ago (2010-2016) the Board of Directors chaired by Mr. Carles Farré Brull carried out the demolition of the building where the old women's locker rooms were located and a multivalent Polideportive Track was built that was very necessary for practicing different sports such as basketball, soccer, table tennis and where to prepare for the physical preparation of the school. They also worked to sanitize the entity's accounts, while extending up to 7 the number of paddle tracks, performing a work to restructure the tennis courts closest to the beach.

After the appointment of Tarragona as the headquarters of the 2018 Mediterranean Games, our club hosted the sport of tennis during those days.

The current Board of Directors chaired by Pere LL. Bergada, faces an important challenge facing the club's history. In an extraordinary general assembly, the purchase of the sports club Tennis Park was approved. Thus, the Tarragona Tennis Club proceeded to become the only sports club in Cala Romana, with a total of 23000m2 dedicated to sports and leisure, it currently has 15 tennis courts and 14 paddle courts.